Grand Rapids Golf Blog

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Mines 8

8
Par 3, 156 yards

I can't remember ever having played two par 3's in a row before, not even at the par-3-happy Fellowship Greens. I wonder if the designers ran out of room. But as the course website points out, although these two par 3's are similar in distance they are very distinct in look and feel. This elevated tee shot crosses a sandy, brushy no-man's-land almost evoking a desert course out west. The green is nestled next to a dune with more gnarly trees with no recovery zone. The course yardage guide notes that this was the location of a sand pit for the old mines. It shows, and it's used well.

I catch a crystal clear 6-iron and think I've gone too far, but it lands on the green. Only when I get to the green do I realize that not only have I not flown the green, I've actually left it over 30 feet short and will have to cross a testy ridge. The green is deceptively broad, maybe 80 feet from front to back and not much narrower. I three-putt from 30 and have another bogey 4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home