Grand Rapids Golf Blog

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Mines Intro

The Mines
330 Covell Ave SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49544
www.theminesgolfcourse.com

This property was proposed as a site for John Ball Zoo expansion, and this land could have served the zoo well. But at least the second-best thing to do with this site is make it a golf course. Its gyrating landforms, seclusion so close to the city, assembly of trees, and vast acreage make it ideal to be blanketed in green and patrolled by golf carts. I played it just over a month after it opened, on a quiet Monday afternoon, after early morning cloudy gloominess gave way to pristine autumn sunshine. The first green was littered with fallen leaves--seasonal decorations that make this season my favorite to play golf.

Because of my unfamiliarity with the course and my jittery long game of late, I play the white tees--mostly. 9/26

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home